Choose the Best Flooring for Your Home
Choosing the proper flooring for a room might seem like an easy task, but it's often the last thing homeowners consider, right behind window treatments, wall decor, and furniture. But since your flooring is the centerpiece that pulls a room design together, shouldn't it be one of the first things you think about?
There are many flooring options for your home, and all of them are quite versatile. Which ones may work best for you?
- Hardwood. The beauty of a well-worn hardwood floor holds a charm that no other type of flooring can offer. The tiny nicks and scratches that develop on a hardwood floor over time are a beautiful testament to the history of your home.
- Rugs and Carpets. Shag style, deep pile, outdoor/indoor carpets, and wall-to-wall Berber are all carpeting options for your home. You can also choose to use large area rugs over hardwood or laminate for a cozy look that is easier to clean.
- Concrete. Think concrete is boring? Think again! Concrete can be customized with any color you can imagine, and you can incorporate design elements, such as crushed glass or etchings, into the final product. Concrete is second-to-none in terms of durability and ease of maintenance.
- Tile. Ceramic tile floors offer an endless array of designs and patterns to fit your every mood and style. Tile is durable and easy to clean, and imparts an old-world beauty to your home. If you don't like the coolness of tile on your feet, opt for radiant heat underneath them.
- Stone. Stone flooring can hold up to almost anything, and offers a unique natural beauty that can't be duplicated with other materials. Because of that beauty and durability, stone is a bit pricier than other options, but can be well worth the money.
- Vinyl. Vinyl floors used to have a reputation for being a lesser flooring; however, that has changed with the new, interesting, and durable designs now on the market. Vinyl is still very inexpensive but now offers a "designer flair" for your space.
- Bamboo. If you want to go with something a bit different and help the environment at the same time, bamboo flooring is a great place to start.